Friday, June 11, 2010

Declaring war on the roly poleys!

This means WAR!
I tried to be nice and just spray them off with a hose. No more.

This morning, I headed out to the garden and found out the few roley poleys eating strawberries last week have now multiplied! Apparantly, they called all their buddies and invited them over to eat strawberries for breakfast. The party is over.

I sprayed all the plants with dish soap and they all scattered. We'll see how long that deters them. My next weapon is vinegar.

I also found this in the garden this morning...
What do you think? A bird? More bugs?
Well, whoever it is, I hope they like Dawn flavored tomatoes.

Here are the other tomatoes - just starting to turn red...

These are beautiful!
A couple of more days and these will be ready to pick!

And here are the strawberries the roley poleys haven't gotten to yet.

If I can keep the pests at bay for a couple of days, I think the strawberries will finish ripening and we can pick them. We'll see how well the dish soap spraying went when I check on the garden tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

  1. Hey also if you pick the tomatoes early like how they look right now (almost ready) and then put them in your kitchen (not in the fridge) They still ripen perfect without the heat or the bugs getting to them. My dad taught me that trick and he's been gardening for years now. Just a suggestion :) PS I've been following you for a few weeks now and you have helped me save $200 in those weeks already! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tomato varmit is a bird - we see them do the same thing. You can get netting or pick them a little before ripe as the previous poster suggested. We also have issues w/ birds and our strawberries. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering if I should pick my tomatoes earlier, too. I like the suggestion from the Palmer Family- I think I will try that. I didn't realize that roley poleys went after strawberries!

    Another trick that has helped with bugs for me, is to lay newspaper down under the plants (covering the ground) and layer it with grass clippings. We had bad ants and that seemed to keep them away!

    Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails