Thursday, June 10, 2010

Blackberry Blueberry Muffins!

I opened my fridge this morning and had fully ripe containers of blueberries and blackberries smiling at me. What to do with all of these? They definitely wouldn't all get eaten before they turned.

I adapted this recipe using one cup blueberries and one cup blackberries and using raw sugar crystals to top the muffins instead of regular baking sugar. They were delicious. As I pulled them out of the oven, a couple of the muffins had berry juice bubbling out of the top. Yum. I had no problem letting my one year old eat 4 of these today. She calls them cupcakes. Made from scratch & think of all the anti-oxidents she's getting in her system- yay!

Here's what I came up with...

Blackberry Blueberry Muffins
18 muffins
Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon raw sugar (to sprinkle on top)
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (I used half blueberries, half blackberries)

Directions:
In a bowl, cream butter and 1-1/4 cups sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in berries.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffins cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 172 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails